Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chew on this...

Lisa:

So first I want to recognize that the true spelling of "greenbean" is actually two words green and bean. Our spelling, again, is a take on the meaning that we have given the sad, tasteless legume. While we still pick green beans out of our vegetable soup and put them on someone else's plate when they are served to us at a restaurant, we don't necessarily mean to give them a bad rap.  My friend Heather, who loves green beans, told me once that they actually have some nutritional value.  Well, I think that Snickers bars also have some nutirional value and I get way more pleasure eating them, so I do, although not as often as I would like.  I admit that I deprive myself of certain things now that I wouldn't have thought twice about eating 10 years ago.  Karen and I sat down this past weekend and went through a stack of photos that she had from what I'll call our "outrageously fun years".  I never thought I would hear the words come out of my mouth (and they definitley won't when referring to myself in the future) but I said to Karen "Oh my god, I was so skinny!  Too skinny!" Right?  Insane!  But so was she.  No, not insane, skinny!  I then realized I didn't become obsessed with my weight until I actually had some weight to be obsessed about.  Karen and I used to talk about how we would never let our bodies look like our mother's.  No cellulite for us, no sir, no way.  We never sat down in those days.  We could work all day, dance all night and not remember to eat until 4 a.m.  and then get up and do it all over again the next day.  Now I have a true appreciation for being shapely.  I can actually throw my weight around with a little meaning behind it.  One of my nieces loves to nuzzle in what she calls "squishy bits" or the more fleshy parts of your body.  I'm not even offended.  Being childless I feel included in some secret love club awarding membership only to those that have a little something to hold on to.  There is nothing like unconditional love.  It really doesn't matter where it comes from.  If I am loved because there is more of me to love then I say bring on the hamburger but please hold the "Greenbeans"!

No comments:

Post a Comment