Sunday, August 7, 2011

Everyone has a "Greenbean"

Lisa:

My parents decided to move to Georgia in the middle of year when I was in the 10th grade (talk about cruel and unusual punishment but more about that later).  I became the new girl with this very nasal upstate New York accent in a high school in a small town where everyone had known each other since kindergarten.  Karen's best friend from childhood was going to a private all girls school in the fall. We were both in limbo. Fortunately for us our sad and lonely worlds collided in Madame Mull's French class.  Karen was kind enough to speak to me. I am sure that I looked like a deer caught in the headlights.  I had never heard French spoken with a Southern accent and I was afraid that everything I had learned up to that point was going to be useless.  I clearly did not speak ANY words with a Southern accent. But then again, as I listened closely, neither did Karen.  I thought Karen was so cosmopolitan. She was tall, beautiful, popular, well spoken and smart.  I wanted to be just like her or at least be her friend, who wouldn't?  We hit it off immediately and that was 29 fun filled years ago. We have yet to be at a loss for something to talk about.  But the best thing about becoming friends with Karen was learning that we both hated the same thing - Greenbeans!

No comments:

Post a Comment