Monday, August 29, 2011

We're Big Pants People

Lisa:

I thought that bad drivers were the one things that really got me going but today I discovered that there is another act of unkindness that makes my head spin.  In my line of work every project is a collaborative effort.  This can make or break the project depending on the chain of command, communication, timeline, budget  and egos involved.  Of this list, communication is by far the most important element.  If team members are not telling each other what they want, need and expect of one another then how, I ask, can anything get done? Currently I am in the middle of a big renovation project that has a very tight schedule.  Needless to say, everything that can go wrong has gone wrong.  Some days it is so overwhelming that I don't even want to get out of bed to put any pants on.  But I persevere and do what I promised I would do.  After all, I am a firm believer that the person who pays you to do the work makes the rules.  I rarely forget that there is always someone else who can do my job.  For repeat business, relationships are key.  In order to develop a good relationship based on trust, you have to be a person of your word and learn how to communicate.  Say what you are going to do and then do it.  In other words put your big pants on, we're big pants people!

No comments:

Post a Comment